WE'RE BACK, BABY
There's the Superdome reopening. There's school reopenings. There's houses being built. The list goes on and on. But the biggest sign of recovery so far in this city has to be ...
As I waited for Kaila to arrive, I sat in a chair outside and took in that feeling of triumph. Alas, the world is changing, and by golly, Bud's is changing with it. For better or worse. There's a sign posted on the door (you can see it at the bottom of the pic) saying there's wi-fi inside.
A guy opening the door reads the sign: "Look at that. They got the Internet. (Pause and then lower and slower.) Bud's Broiler's got the Internet." You said it, guy. Not only that but they also take debit cards. Crazy, I know. Call it sacrilege, but I took advantage. Hey, I was low on cash.
Since it was kind of a beautiful day, we ate outside. There's like 15 tables outside. That was sort of a mistake, as the flies also are aware that Bud's has returned to where the magic all began. At one point, I counted nine flies on our table. That didn't take away the satisfaction, however, of eating again at the home base.
Check out Brett Anderson's story on the joint's return thanks to new passionate owners. Has some history of the franchise in there, too. Can you believe I have only eaten at six of the eight current locations?
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
My mom was on a mission Tuesday to clean my room. She walks in. "Jesus Christ. Look at this fucking room."
Me: What's up, ma?
Mom: We're cleaning this, and you're going to fucking help.
There were plenty of other curses Tuesday, but I couldn't make them out. She had the dustbuster turned on, and her screaming was drowned out. I left early for lunch.
In a funny unrelated cursing note, I was with mom at the pool place last Tuesday. She's trying to return a ripped pool cover that we had for one year and get a new one free of charge. The lady at the counter doesn't seem to be going for it. Mom: "I've been coming here for 19 years!"
PARTING SHOTS
Marcus sees that Anthony Parker, brother of Candace, was selected 21st in the draft a few years back.
Marcus: Anthony Parker. D, that's your brother-in-law, right?
D: No. That's my son.
Me: Eww. That makes you Candace's dad.
Marcus (on AIM to me): He likes her to call him daddy.
D and Marcus are discussing the Super Bowl.
Marcus: What would Super Bowl 500 be called?
D: I don't know. Bake, do you know?
Bake: Super Bowl 500 is D, D.
We're having a group discussion about the future of the department.
Mike: This is Kevin's last week in sports.
Bake: Where's he going?
Mike: Blog city.
Bake: Where is that? How do you get there?
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My five favorite TV shows of the 08-09 season.
5) Pushing Daisies / Heroes / How I Met Your Mother
Couldn't pick one.
4) Chuck.
Renewed! Victory is ours! Well, sort of.
3) Life on Mars.
If you like sci-fi/fantasy and/or crime shows, catch up, and we'll talk.
2) The Office.
Pam's pregnant out of wedlock. Shame. Shame.
1) 24.
Try to make decisions you can live with. Thanks for the advice, Jack.

No comments:
Post a Comment