When I drove into the parking lot at work Wednesday, I noticed a sizable group of people huddled on the street in front of the T-P building. That can only mean one thing, I thought to myself: We got ourselves a protest.
This contention looked much more formidable than the Worst Protest Ever of 2008. Last year, a group protested our supporting the tearing down of the St. Bernard Housing Project (I think). There was a rumor of a major incident taking place at the T-P. I was told to come to work early to avoid trouble. Only six people showed up to protest. They didn't even chant. They tried a march, but a security guard told them to go away. That was the end of that.
The 2009 protest, however, was much more organized. They had banners, flags, chants, etc. The protesters were upset with a January 7 cartoon we ran in which a Palestinian is shown to be a little bitch. He strikes an Israelite twice, but when the Israelite strikes back, he complains. These people did not find it humorous.
Their main banner read: STOP ISRAEL APARTHEID. FREEDOM AND EQUALITY NOW. I told Marcus our department should employ that second part. He said sure, but you have to be six feet. Ha. Ha. TBS.
Of course, the sports department wasted little time in making fun of the situation. Brick: "I think they got confused with our West Bank. It's the West Bank by Gaza, not Gretna."
Derry: "You know what Roberto Duran would say if he were out there? No Hamas."
I don't know how long they were out there, but it must have been several hours. Some people just can't take a joke. They met with our editor before leaving. Here's the likely gist of their conversation.
Editor: OK, guys. We get your point. But that's like our opinion, man.
One protester: Your paper sucks and is really wrong for printing that cartoon.
Second protester: You have an ugly tie.
Third protester: And your cookies are terrible.
Editor: Well, your flag is stupid.
All three protesters: Brute!
Oh, let's not forget their favorite protest chant: FREE FREE PALESTINE! FREE FREE GAZA! I wonder if I can get this going at the wedding Saturday.
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
My mom is slightly upset with American Idol. "Fucking Idol. They added a judge and instead of 24 finalists, they have fucking 36 now."
Mom hasn't seen a new movie in some time. "There are so many fucking movies out there, I can't keep up."
I tell mom that Volkswagen gave me a free oil change and car wash. I then tell her I will still give a bad review on the survey.
Mom: They didn't send a survey last time.
Me: Nope.
Mom: That's cuz it was a big fuck-up.
I'm looking through my notes for something when I see a curse I left out of last Monday's entry. "Macy's always has a fucking sale."
FOUR CORNERS
A closer look at The Gene Pool World.
-- There are four houses for sale on my street. They should add the fact that I live on the street in their flyers.
-- Bring your own goggles won the vote for the subtitle of the blog. Congratulations.
But it wasn't easy. At first, the poll closed with BYOG tied in votes with Getting Wet Daily. So, I reopened the voting for the first ever Gene Pool overtime poll. BYOG made like the Jayhawks last year and ran away with the title. Too bad I can't enforce a law making people read this thing while wearing goggles.
-- I haven't had a coke, or any other caffeinated beverage for that matter, since Friday afternoon with some seafood. I've only drank water, orange juice and two Sprites since. I'll probably break this Thursday night.
-- I've been off three days each the past two weeks. I'd rather not explain the details. One day each week (last Thursday and this past Tuesday), I didn't leave the house. I did a little cleaning up and other tasks around the pad. Besides that, I just watched TV all day. As Borat would say, very nice.
PARTING SHOTS
We're talking about the language used when recruits commit to a college. For some reason, the writer keeps putting that the person verbally committed. Verbally is unnecessary.
D: We used to put: He orally committed.
(After some laughter, Brick explains that orally used to be our style.)
Bake: There is a difference between verbally and orally.
Me: Yeah there is.
LSU quarterback Andrew Hatch is no longer enrolled in Tigerland.
Brick: Harvard may get Hatch back.
Bake: I love hatchbacks.
(Then later, I tell him I put that quote in here.)
Bake: Yeah. I love 'em. I used to have one.
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five TV sidekicks.
5) Max Weinberg. Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
Him and Connan have thrown some wild award-show parties over the years.
4) James Wilson. House.
He should be given a gold medal for putting up with House's shit.
3) Morgan Grimes. Chuck.
How long before he realizes Chuck is working for the government?
2) Randy Hickey. My Name is Earl.
He says something at least once an episode that makes me crack up.
1) Ando Masahashi. Heroes.
Hiro couldn't have saved the world three times without him.

No comments:
Post a Comment