Friday, June 12, 2009

MY NAME'S DANNY. I'M FROM CHALMETTE. I LIKE SPORTS.

1) That title was for Gillie. In beginning reporting back in the fall of 2003, we were introducing ourselves to the class. One kid said that title as his introduction. That's been a running catchphrase for us since.

2) In general, I like the three-man booth with Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson and play-by-play guy Mike Breen. I don't, however, like the way Breen consistently describes baskets being made.

Seventy-five percent of the time, he says: "(Player's last name) puts it in." Really? That's all you can come up with, buddy? It's certainly a far cry from Marv Albert's "Yes!," but it also makes me want to respond to him: That's what she said.

In fact, I think someone needs to convince JVG to say that every time Breen says his line. This will make for great TV and increase the enjoyment I've had of watching the Finals. (Besides Game 1.) I'm telling you, that interaction would catch on and be huge.

3) There's only one way I would ever think about watching a hockey game: Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Friday night was the second time in my life I paid attention to the skating barbarians and their little puck.

At work, I watched a solid 25-30 minutes of the game. I enjoyed it. Saw some good stuff. The puck hitting the crossbar to tie the score late was crazy dramatic. As was the final 10 seconds with the diving save by the Pens goalie to preserve the title.

I didn't, however, see any of the three goals. Missed 'em all.

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

My mom sits down on the couch. "I feel like somebody beat the fuck out of me."

We are both excited about the upcoming 11 episodes of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? We hope the show is in its original format. "They added too much shit. You either know the fucking answers or you don't."

Mom returns from picking up the seafood.
Mom: Did you want crawfish?
Me: No.
Mom: I wasn't sure. I tried calling you, but you don't answer your fucking phone.

PARTING SHOTS
Marcus says the word "lovely," prompting me to start singing.

Me (singing): Isn't she lovely?
Marcus: Isn't that what Ted said?
Me: No. It's not. He doesn't like girls.
Marcus: He was talking about you.
(He then apologized for the comment.)

Marcus asks me if I want off for four days at the end of June.

Me: Why? What do you want me to go to?
Marcus: The circus is in town.
Bake Ooo. Are you gonna run away, Gene?

Phil doesn't like the idea of the Jesters soccer team.

Phil: That should be their slogan. The Jesters: It's a joke.

THE DAILY TOP LIST
Watching hockey got me to thinking about Canada. My top five Canadians.

5) Nickelback.
Sorry, Chuck.

4) James Naismith.
Thanks for inventing basketball.

3) Pam Anderson.
I'm talking Baywatch days here.

2) Jim Carrey.
With heavy competition (to fulfill the actor part of the countdown) from Kiefer Sutherland, Mike Myers, Michael J. Fox and Brendan Fraser.

1) Bret Hart.
Just wasted almost an hour looking at old "Hitman" clips on the youtube.

No comments: