Previously on High School Girlfriend: Regina got out of the mental hospital. Paul and Minkus fought over who could date her next. I stopped the bickering by getting back together with her in a romantic conversation in which we revealed our deep, passionate love for each other. That was Monday night, February 11, 2002.
And action.
I was like Kevin Garnett after the NBA Finals some six years later. TOP OF THE WORLD! I really felt good about my decision to get back together with Regina. It felt right. And that had nothing to do with Paul and Minkus. They just steered me in the right direction.
I had two current, popular songs in my head for the next few days. Default's "Wasted My Time" because I had wasted my time by not being with Regina. And Creed's "My Sacrifice," which starts with, "Hello my friend, we meet again." I kept singing these songs and thinking about Regina. She was right. My love was growing stronger.
I don't think I saw her during the week. We did talk every night. My focus was on that Saturday's quarterfinals match against Brother Martin. Both teams were way better than the team the winner would get in the semifinals. So, we were basically playing for the right to play Jesuit for the state championship. My teammates and I had been waiting all of our high school careers for this opportunity.
If you know your history or have read my daily top list enough, you know that the game did not quite go our way. In fact, it was a 3-0 slaughter. Hell, our coach didn't even show up. We didn't play that poorly, though. The Saders just got a few breaks and took advantage of them. When the final whistle blew, I collapsed to my knees, fell to the ground, pulled my jersey over my head and let the tears pour out. You did the same when your high school career was over, right Marcus? Hug?
You know who was there to comfort me after that? Regina. She gave me a big hug and let me cry some more on her shoulder. (Yes, I was wearing my Mickey Mouse soccer jersey.) One part of my life was over, but this great new part was blossoming. A big group of us went out to dinner that night. Regina and I, however, ducked out early and skipped whatever they were doing next to be alone.
Her parents were out of town. We went into her mom's bedroom. We take off each other's clothes. Let's pause for a second. When we bolted the dinner, I thought we were going to spend some quality time alone, making out and just being with each other. She figured, I guess, that this would be the best time to hit a home run.
Before I could express any concerns, we were naked on her mom's bed. Admittedly, I let it get out of hand. She had no intention of stopping and didn't think I did either. But just before she (How do I say this delicately?) pounced, I told her I still wasn't ready. Regina: "Please. Just this one time. I love you so much. I promise, I'll make it up to you."
You would think my strong aversion would put an end to the sex thing until I said differently. But no. This scene took place at least two more times in the following weeks. I would keep letting it happen (stripping, touching, you know) and cutting it off at the point of no return. Regina, as expected, would be disappointed and beg for it.
Amazingly, this did nothing to hurt our relationship at the time. We were the best couple this side of the hot lunch line in the cafeteria. She came to visit me at the end of school on Tuesday the week after the first time we almost did it, and my eyes just lit up. It was like no one else in the world existed. Except for Paul, of course. On Wednesday, I went to her house after school and stayed through dinner. But Thursday. Well, Thursday changed everything.
I'm at her house again, and we're talking in her room. This conversation you're about to read starts with her taking out a piece of paper. She says the first line matter-of-factly.
Regina: So when we get married, I want these songs to be used and these verses to be the readings. Do you like them?
Me: Um. What?
Regina: Do you like these songs and verses for our wedding?
Me: Wedding? What wedding?
Regina: Ours, silly goose.
Me: We're getting married?
Regina: Yeah. I figure either this summer or next. I prefer this summer, though.
Me (sweating more than Phil after eating AGG's salsa): OK. I uh ...
Regina: What's wrong, hunny? You do want to marry me, don't you?
Me: Oh yeah. Sure. I just didn't have it in my immediate plans. I was thinking more like in a few years?
Regina (starting to freak out): I can't wait that long. You either want to marry me or you don't. There's no need to wait years. We're meant to be together. That's all there is to it.
Me: Yes, we are. So you think we can make it as a couple if we get married this summer?
Regina: Yup.
Me: What do we do about where to live?
Regina: We live here. It's paid for. I've already talked about it with my mom. She will move out and live with Bear (that's her second husband) around the corner.
Me: What do we do about money?
Regina: I have $95,000 in the bank. Plus, my college will be paid for (explantion for that in like chapter 7). I can pay for your college. We'll take it from there.
Me (scared to make a serious disagreement): Looks like you got it all figured out.
Regina: Of course, I do, hunny. Then, it's settled?
Me: Looks like it. We won't be poor. We love each other.
Regina: Goodie. Now, as I was saying, Do you like these songs and verses?
On Saturday, February 23, 2002, Chapelle had what they call a Sweethart Dance. Just another excuse for girls to get dressed up and have a get-together. Attending this extravaganza was Rummel and Chapelle's most recently engaged couple: Regina and me. There wasn't an official asking of the question and a ring or anything, but I think she figured I would do that sometime in the Spring to get ready for the big Summer wedding.
As you might imagine, I didn't go around shouting this news from the rooftops. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be getting married in the summer. I just said that to Regina to avoid a confrontation. Everything was going so well.
Still, I knew that conversation would come eventually. But who knows? Maybe I'd be so in love by the summer, I'd go through with it. After all, she had $95,000 and a paid for two-story house in Chateau Estates. Mr. Altobello did tell me to marry money, right? Here was a golden opportunity.
The plan was for her to come to my house and chat for a bit. Have Tina take some pictures she could hang around the house. Then, one of her friends was going to pick us up in a car that included Minkus and an Asian chick. (It was his first Asian!) Tina was more than excited to take pictures of us all dressed up. About 10 minutes before we were to be picked up, I noticed Regina giving me the urging eye. She was relentless with that thing.
I held out for as long as I could. Regina was about to do it herself. Which I figured would turn out bad. Not that me telling the big news ended well. Me: "Mom, I have something to tell you."
Mom: What is it? You need some money for dinner?
Me: No. It's her dance, mom. She's supposed to pay.
Mom: Then what?
Me: Um, Regina and I are going to get married in the summer.
Mom: The fuck you are.
Me (looking at Regina's reassuring smile): No, Mom. We love each other.
Mom: I don't give a fuck. You ain't getting married. It won't fucking last.
Me (starting to walk out the door to get picked up): Well, we are. And it will.
Mom didn't take too kindly to the announcement. She told Regina to leave. Regina tried to stay her ground next to her man. But mom turned into a rabid wolverine. Mom escorted Regina to her car and slammed the door in her face. I tried to reason with mom and get her to calm down in the middle of the yard for all the neighborhood to see.
Me: Don't you think you're overreacting? Can't we talk about this later?
Mom: Give me your fucking keys. (She grabs them from me and hustles to the front door.)
Me: What are you doing?
Mom: (in the house and holding the door): Are you crazy? What the fuck are you thinking, son? You want to get married at 18 fucking years old. Go ahead. But it won't be with my permission. And it won't be under my fucking roof. You can have these keys back when you tell me you won't get married to that bitch!
With that, mom slammed the door with all our mite. (While that conversation with my mom happened, Regina just sat in the car crying. What else could she do?) I could then hear the lock turning. I was officially kicked out of my house. I had no car and no home.
TO BE CONTINUED. ...
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
I have a dentist appointment Tuesday. Our dentist has been in a temporary office (on the fourth floor of a bank) since Katrina. I ask mom if they're going to be in their new building soon. "They can't wait to get out of that fucking office. Having to share all that bullshit."
I'm starting to wake up. Mom yells from the living room. "Your phone is fucking making noise again." (It was a voicemail.)
Mom went to get a new phone today but didn't buy one because it was too expensive. She tried to get the same one as me. "Your fucking phone costs $139." (She couldn't get it for free because she doesn't have a contract. She doesn't have a contract because she buys prepaid minutes.)
Mom's phone starts making the noise signaling low batter. "What the fuck is going on? I charged it a few days ago."
I got an invitation in the mail to Christina's engagement party for Nov. 23. Coincidentally, I requested off for that day a few days ago. I ask mom if I need to bring a present. "When you get engaged, you have fucking everything. Engagement party, reception, rehearsals, showers."
THE GENE POOL DIP (I MEAN TIP) OF THE WEEK
The Hornets are the real deal. I can feel a title in my bones. So jump on board and and come on this championship journey with me. Throw as much effort as you can spare into supporting the Hornets. You won't be disappointed. If you need any more Kool-Aid at any point in the season, I got a full supply.
The main reason for all this: Chris Paul. Everybody loves him. Including me. I think he has a certain charm. You see him play. You see him smile. You love him. It reminds me of how I felt about Mary Tyler Moore when I was younger. She would walk into a scene on The Dick Van Dyke Show, and I'd fall in love all over again. So, I thought it only fitting if I wrote a little diddy about CP3. Here it goes.
Who can turn the League on with his smile? (world instead of league)
Who can take a deficit, and suddenly make it a win in style? (nothing day, all seem worthwhile)
Well, it's you Chris, and you should know it (girl instead of Chris)
With each assist and every penetration you show it (glance and every little movement)
Fans will pack The Nest, no need to doubt it (Love is all around, no need to waste it)
You can have this town, a trophy, cinch it (a town, why don't you take it?)
You're gonna clinch it after all (2x) (make it after all)
How will you bring the title here? (make it on your own?)
This League is awfully good, (This world is awfully big,)
But Chris you just have to steer (Girl this time you're all alone)
Because your helpers are a ton (But it's time you started living)
West, MoPete, Pose, Peja, JuJu and Tyson (It's time you let someone else do some giving)
Fans will pack The Nest, no need to doubt it
You can have this town, a trophy, cinch it
You're gonna clinch it after all (2x)
(Chris throws a basketball into the air on Girod Street.)
PARTING SHOT
D is reading a prep story. He doesn't like the way the writer phrased something.
D: This guy was streaking down the sideline.
Liam: Well, it is Halloween.
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five moments in October.
5) Celebration of the 100th blog in a row.
I did everything short of buying myself a cake.
4) Playing poker next to Shannon Elizabeth.
Jelly informs me that taking pictures in the casino is not allowed. Oh well.
3) Saints games.
I went to the Oakland game and sat in the 17th row in the lower level. Awesome. We had a Saints party for the Vikings game at the T-P. Here's to another one this month vs. Green Bay.
2) Birthday month.
I lost count of the times I had to say, "Happy Birthday." At Paul's party, I met Michelle. Doesn't look like that will last much longer. At Jenna's party, we lived the Sandlot in real life. Don't think they ever got that football back from Hercules. Since he was sick and didn't show up for work today, Happy Birthday, Lopes.
1) Talking to the Nature Boy.
Think he'll remember me if I run into him at WrestleMania in April?
PARTING SHOT
D is reading a prep story. He doesn't like the way the writer phrased something.
D: This guy was streaking down the sideline.
Liam: Well, it is Halloween.
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five moments in October.
5) Celebration of the 100th blog in a row.
I did everything short of buying myself a cake.
4) Playing poker next to Shannon Elizabeth.
Jelly informs me that taking pictures in the casino is not allowed. Oh well.
3) Saints games.
I went to the Oakland game and sat in the 17th row in the lower level. Awesome. We had a Saints party for the Vikings game at the T-P. Here's to another one this month vs. Green Bay.
2) Birthday month.
I lost count of the times I had to say, "Happy Birthday." At Paul's party, I met Michelle. Doesn't look like that will last much longer. At Jenna's party, we lived the Sandlot in real life. Don't think they ever got that football back from Hercules. Since he was sick and didn't show up for work today, Happy Birthday, Lopes.
1) Talking to the Nature Boy.
Think he'll remember me if I run into him at WrestleMania in April?

No comments:
Post a Comment