Sunday, October 19, 2008

IS IT BASKETBALL SEASON YET?

The Saints did not play well Sunday. I did not enjoy watching that. Plus, I watched the entire Dolphins game. Not a proud afternoon to be a fan of those two teams. The Saints game left me with somewhat of a frown for the rest of the day. I didn't feel like myself. I felt a little sick. Having my nap in the T-P parking lot interrupted by Jelly at 4 p.m. certainly didn't help. 

The turning point: The Saints had control of the game early on. They had a nice little drive, with Karney scoring a touchdown for a 7-3 lead. I imagined JRap somewhere in the Carolinas smiling because he always calls for that play. Then they get the ball right back and get a quick first down out to their 46.

I turned to Minkus, who was back in town again, and ask how he feels about the tone of the game so far. He said: "I feel pretty good." Simple. But that's the way I felt too. That was the last good feeling of the day. Shockey soon fumbled on a play that should have been a run. The Panthers clawed their way for a touchdown, and the Saints never recovered. 

When I knew it was over: The interception on a pass intended for Colston, who didn't look right all day. Hopefully, No. 12 being off was just bad timing with Brees from rust, plus excellent defense. I thought the Saints still were in the game (20-7; 7:05 third quarter; just forced a punt), but that picked sealed it for me. I turned my focus to the Dolphins, who had pulled within a touchdown.

The color commentators: Three things they said that made me laugh. (There were two, but I don't know who said what. I watched at Fox & Hound. Lot of background noise.)
1) One said the coverage by Lucas on his interception was "textbook." Textbook? Really? Colston gave him a head fake at the line of scrimmage to the inside. Lucas bit. Colston broke open down the sideline, but Brees underthrew (something that's been happening a little too often for him) the ball. Lucas was then able to recover and make the pick. What textbook was the color guy talking about? Advanced geometry?

2) During a kickoff, one described the job of the kicker as something like this. "Now, he's going to try to put the ball in the end zone. That's the kicker's job on kickoffs. To get as many touchbacks as possible. So the offense has to start from the 20 and has no chance for a long return." That was our Hershey's chocolate no-shit-sherlock comment of the day. 

3) Coming back from a commercial for the new-hit show Fringe (I don't watch it), one said the Saints were "on the fringe of letting this game slip away." The score was 27-7 in the fourth quarter. I'm pretty sure the slipping had already been done. At that point, they were just sliding to the end.

I call this guy pointing the COD man. That stands for Come On, Drew. Which is what he shouted at the big screen at Fox & Hound before just about every offensive play. Even in the fourth quarter. He got animated, too. Clinching his fist and shaking them violently. Then stomping his right foot on the floor.

What is he pointing at? He's pointing at the red line used to show us the mark for the first down. Toward the end of the third quarter and with the Saints down 27-7, Deuce leaned forward on fourth-and-1. He appeared to cross over the entire red line.

The ball, however, was marked with about half the ball still touching the red line. Still, the Saints were somehow short. I figured the red line on TV was just off. I was more mad at the spot by the official. Can we ever get a close call to go our way?

But the COD man couldn't believe such an occurrence was possible. He jumped up and down and yelled "No." He kept saying that it was a first down because Deuce was past the red line and couldn't understand why the red line would lie to him. He told his buddy: "I have been watching football since they started using those lines, and I have never seen it be wrong. Never." 

Other notes: 

1) McKenzie looked bad Sunday. He kept getting beat. His man kept getting steps on him and making catches as he was still trying to close out. He looked more like Jason David than Mike McKenzie. That game was the first time I remember him playing that bad since before last year. What was the deal with Mike? Anyone?

2) The Saints failed to convert four consecutive third/fourth-and-1/2s. 

3) The identity crisis. 

The Saints were reeling off some nice runs in the first half. The offensive line was creating holes for a change. Red Meat had a 29-yard run. They drove the field with a running attack to take a 7-3 lead. The Panthers defense is the second best in the league against the pass.

Yet the Saints couldn't help but throw the ball. It's like Payton was sitting over there thinking: "OK. What should I call here? The run is working. But me like to call pass play. Uh. Uh. Uh. Let's go with X7doublez slant 2 (a pass play)." 

On the touchdown drive (sad that I can call a touchdown drive "the" touchdown drive in a Saints game - ugh), the Saints ran six times for 48 yards. Then after getting a thee-and-out, Red Meat runs two times for 15 yards. The Saints have all the momentum. They're killing them at the point of attack. You got Red Meat and Deuce going good. This seems like the perfect time for a Deuce run up the middle. Maybe a screen pass. 

But what does Payton call? Two regular pass plays in a row. Are you kidding me? Now, when the running game is brought up, I'm the first one to say that this is a passing team and they're going to pass. In this game, however, I felt the opposite. Stick with what's working, dumbass. 

I can also see a play-action pass and taking a shot downfield in that situation. But not two regular pass plays (no screen or quick hit or flare to Red Meat) in a row. Sigh.

Let's be optimistic for a second. If Drew and Devery connect on that pass right before half, the Saints have the lead and the momentum back. Devery had a step on the guy, too. Just needed a little more air. Was that optimistic?

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

Mom calls while I'm at work.

Mom: Who won the game?
Me: The other team.
Mom: The Saints fucking lost again?

NEW NICKNAME

The Tampa Bay Rays are headed to the World Series. You can't help but think how simple it was. In the 11 years the team was called the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, they finished with one of the worst records in baseball. In the year after dropping Devil and going with Tampa Bay Rays, the team wins the pennant. So easy a caveman could have done it. 

With that in mind, I figured out how to help another team that's been struggling as of late. I know I shouldn't do this because I hate them, but here goes. Ladies and Gentleman, coming to a basketball arena near you this season, the Duke Blues. With that easy and painless dropping of Devil in the name, the Dukies will be back in the Final Four quicker than you can say, American Express: Don't leave home without it. 

I'll leave deciding what to do for a mascot to Lopes. He's the biggest Duke Blues supporter I know. Is the Blue Man Group booked?

PARTING SHOTS
Bake is making fun of a basketball player who had a foot partially amputated. We tell him he's being mean.

Lopes (talking to Jelly): "You know what else isn't funny? You telling me to stay away from a little girl." 

Jelly looks at the main picture on the front page of sports.

"I see nothing but asses in that photo."

We're watching Game 7 of the ALCS. They show J.D. Drew's heroics in the playoffs before he bats with the bases loaded in the eighth and the Sox trailing 3-1.

Me: What's the opposite of 'he's due'?
Liam: He don't. 
(And he didn't. Though that called third strike was definitely a ball.)

THE DAILY TOP LIST
My favorite five TV characters who didn't appear in a first season and were additions to a show.

5) Alan Brady. The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Sure he was mentioned in the first season, but he didn't make an appearance until the third season.
Quote: Shut up, Mel!

4) Adam Monroe. Heroes.
He's only lived for 400 years.
Quote: Peter, what the hell was that?

3) Andy Bernard. The Office.
His reaction to the cell phone prank sealed the deal.
Quote: Andy Bernard doesn't lose competitions. He wins them. ... Or quits them.

2) Woody Boyd. Cheers.
An endearing simpleton if there ever was one.
Quote: You know, Darth Vader can't be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.

1) Chloe O'Brian. 24.
Where would Jack be without her? Probably dead. Well, possibly.
Quote: I was unfairly harsh to you a few minutes ago, I didn't mean anything. (other character accepts her apology). It wasn't really an apology, it was more of an observation.

No comments: