AT 'HOME' ON THE PITCH
The Saints played their first regular-season game outside the U.S. I watched my first game of the season at home. It was a game of firsts, indeed. Reggie's first missed game of the year. The first time Saints got calls all year. I couldn't believe the refs overturned both of San Diego's interceptions. Those plays were so close. I'm surprised there was enough evidence to overturn them.
The win keeps the Saints' season alive. If they come back across The Pond at 3-5 with two weeks to think about it - plus the impending suspensions - the season is over. Now, they still have life. Though, I'm looking at the schedule, and it's hard to imagine them getting to 10-6.
They have to sweep the Falcons. Let's assume wins over Detroit and Kansas City and a loss at Chicago. That's 8-5. Meaning they have to win two out of 1) Monday night at home vs. Packers (a game I've been calling the key for like five weeks now) 2) at Bucs 3) season finale at home vs. Panthers.
As for Sunday, what an exciting game! The offense moved the ball up and down the field. Drew was outstanding. I feel like the Saints can beat any team, just as long as the team has a not-so-good secondary.
Then, they gave me a freakin' heart attack at the end. To me, taking that safety only gave the Chargers a chance to win the game. Sproles is dangerous, and he had room to run at the beginning of that return. I thought Drew could have wasted more time on that safety. 1) By running into the corner, as Liam suggested. or 2) throwing the ball high up in the stands. After the Chargers recovered the onside kick with 9:35 left, you just got the feeling that they would win.
Notes on the game.
1) That's the second time a linebacker got the game-sealing pick late in the fourth. Fujita did it against the Bucs.
2) The Saints are 4-0 when Lopes is in the house. Anybody want to chip in and pay for him to go to Atlanta in two weeks?
3) Traditionally speaking, the winner of the London game wins the Super Bowl. You know when Red Meat gets back and the suspensions are served, the Saints could really get rolling down the stretch. Sound familiar?
4) Boy, Aaron Glenn was giving some huge cushion. He gives more cushion than your local furniture store. (Is that an original joke? I sure hope so.)
5) I hate the idea of playing regular-season NFL games in London or anywhere not in a home teams' stadium. It's retarded. Screw expanding the game globally. It's a friggin' American sport. I was hoping Nantz or Simms would deck Roger Goodell in the face during that interview when he hinted at multiple international games. Even Chris Berman thinks this whole London thing is a bad idea. I also hate the thought of 18 regular-season games. Ugh.
6) Gee, I can't seem to recall the last time the Saints missed an extra point. I know it's been a long time. I'll have to ask JRap. He might be the only one that knows. I wonder if the last missed PAT also didn't cost the Saints.
7) Announcing mistakes. I got two from Sunday's broadcast.
-- Simms (about Brees): Well, he was on a throwing offense in college. Then, he went to Purdue.
-- Nantz (about the Saints winning; keep in mind, the Saints' game finished last): They can pick up a game on everyone in the division. (Really? Even though Carolina won? Because that would be totally sweet.)
8) That was a priceless highlight of Payton playing QB in Europe. I had to laugh at him sliding down the stands.
9) When the ref said that the first San Diego interception was overturned, he was using notes on a pad to deliver his announcement. I watched him read, "The ball will be placed at the 24-yard line." Hilarious.
10) I'd hate to beat a dead horse, but I got to ask this question yet again. Why are we throwing? The play I'm referring to is the second interception that was overturned. First down. Own 39. 5:45 left. Up by 7. Run the goddamn ball. Luckily, the play was overturned, and the penalty on Billy Miller (who has been terrific, by the way) was offsetted by the idiot for San Diego celebrating the call on the field of interception.
At least Payton then ran the ball with a second chance at 5:41 remaining.
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
My mom looks at an add for the Swamp Room on Vets. "I thought they only made fucking hamburgers."
The T-P came out with its annual Top 100 restaurant list on Sunday. "I've only eaten at seven of these. Been living in this city for 52 fucking years. That's probably all I'll get to, too. Seven fucking restaurants."
I'm watching the Saints game in the living room while eating lunch. "People are fucking going on their honeymoon to see this shit."
I tell mom about a joke I made to Paul last night. He said something about getting kicked off of something. I said: "You should call Jeff Probst and get a ruling." Not shockingly, he said: "Who is that?" I swear if the person isn't a movie star or on his fantasy team, Paul has never heard of the person. Mom's reaction: "Jesus Christ. He (Probst) became a fucking celebrity after the first season of Survivor."
SNL didn't record on the DVR. It just says recording error. I tell mom this and that the same thing happened to Paul on a show Tuesday. "What the fuck is going on?" She goes to the DVR menu to see for herself. She sees it. "This is such bullshit."
Mom has me watch a quick scene from Six Feet Under. She recognizes an actor but can't figure out why she knows him. After about two seconds, I say, "That's Milo (from 24)." Now, it comes to her. "Oh. Fucking Milo. I can't believe I didn't get that. Fucking Milo." She walks into the kitchen and then returns. "Fucking Milo."
I BET THIS IS BETTER THAN THE REAL ONE
About five us at work Sunday night happened to turn to the TV at the same time. We see new 49ers coach Mike Singletary at a press conference after losing. We realize he's going off, but we kind of hesitate to turn up the volume. Liam finally pulls the trigger, and we are treated to pure gold. Gold, Jerry. Gold.
We all had the same thought afterward: That is the next Coors Light football commercial. I decided to save Coors the trouble and go ahead and write it myself. In case you missed the press conference, here it is. Now, for my commercial.
Singletary is shown wearing his red 49ers shirt with a long sleeve white undershirt. Very stylish if I do say so myself. The camera scans out to three Coors guys.
Coors guy No. 1: Hey, coach.
Singletary: Go ahead. What's up next?
Coors guy No.1: I'm coaching my kids' team at the playground. If too many of the kids can't make it for a game, what should I do?
Singletary: I would rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we got to do something else.
Coors guy No. 1: That doesn't sound fair to the kids that showed up, coach.
Singletary: I want winners. I want people that want to win.
Coors guy No. 2: Easy there, coach. On a lighter note, do you think it's possible to have a party without a full supply of Coors Light?
Singletary: Can't do it.
Coors guy No. 2: I agree. So you think you and your staff could help us out with a party? Maybe help us pay for the beer.
Singletary: We are not a charity.
Coors guy No. 3: Wait a second, coach. Our other buddy isn't here. (sternly:) What did you tell him?
Singletary: I told him that he would do a better job for us right now taking a shower and coming back and watching the game than going out on the field. Simple as that.
The fourth Coors light guy is then shown walking up to the other three wearing a shower cap, flip flops and a bath towel. He has his clothes on, of course. Kids are watching. He says (as he shakes some water out of his ear): "Hey, guys. Sorry about missing the interview. I have to listen to him (Singletary). He's the boss."
(promotional voice guy:) Frost brewed Coors Light. Official beer sponsor of the NFL.
Coors guy No. 4: Fine, coach. I took my shower. But you don't like those other guys in the locker room either, do you?
Singletary: Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them.
WORDS CAN BE A FUNNY THING
Sometimes for a phrase or a term that is - or becomes - part of the vernacular, I misinterpret how the phrase or term is spelled based on how it sounds. I hear the phrase/term over and over. But until I see it used on paper, I have the meaning all wrong in my head. The latest example happened when I was proofing a page Sunday night.
Kellen Winslow of the Browns has a staph infection. In that story was the first time I had ever read staph infection on paper. The problem is I thought the term was staff infection. As in an infection afflicting a staff of a company. I always hear about it spreading and affecting multiple players and personnel. So I thought staff infection made sense because it often affects the staff of an organization. Also in my defense, staph and staff are pronounced the same way.
I learned Sunday that a staph infection is the result of bacteria from the nose and skin doing some serious damage. I don't really understand medicine and science, so the explanation for the diseases caused by staphylococcus (If they called it staphylococcus infection, I wouldn't have misunderstood it.) confused me.
The same sort of thing happened to me a few years back when I first saw the phrase "nip it in the bud" on paper. What I thought the phrase was sounds awfully similar and when I used mine, I meant the same thing. Though "nip it in the bud" pertains to plants, but I have no idea what the origin of "nip it in the butt" would be.
PARTING SHOTS
(the first two are from late Saturday night.)
Jelly is reading from a horse racing story.
Jelly: My Pal Charlie gave his trainer quite the thrill.
Me (singing): I found my thrill ...
Liam (singing): In stall forty-two ...
Marcus is looking at a picture of a dog dressed in LSU garb.
Marcus: Gene, I got the perfect date for you.
Beth (looking at the picture): Oh. I would feel bad for that dog.
Me: Come on, Beth. That's not nice.
Beth: Sorry, Gene. But I like dogs better than I like you.
(And now to Sunday's action.)
I'm watching the Saints game in my room when I get a call from Kelly, who had a crazy night on Saturday.
Kelly: I went to take a shower when I got home. I start the shower, and something didn't feel right. I look down, and I still have my clothes on."
We're wrapping up the work week.
Marcus: Jelly, you blogging?
Jelly: Hell to the no.
Me: We got Whitney Houston over here.
Marcus: So is Joe (the Security Guard) Bobby Brown?
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five Eddie Murphy movies.
5) 48 Hrs. 1982.
I can't hear "Roxanne" and not think of Reggie Hammond.
4) The Nutty Professor. 1996.
I like the scene where he battles Buddy and puts him away for good.
3) Life. 1999.
Wouldn't you go to Ray's Boom Boom Room?
2) Beverly Hills Cop. 1984.
Foley (at the strip joint): Billy, you don't have to be embarrassed if your dick is hard. Your dick is supposed to get hard. That's the whole object.
1) Coming to America. 1988.
Also No. 1 on the list of most quoted movies at the T-P sports department.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment