Thursday, July 24, 2008

JUST AROUND THE CORNER

My mom and I ate lunch today at a place called Seither's on Hickory Road right by Jefferson Highway. I had not heard of the place until I read about the owner in the T-P's Top 10 places to eat boiled crawfish. One week later, I read about it under the listings for seafood places in Gambit Weekly. I didn't know there was a well-liked seafood place within walking distance of my house. Naturally, we had to check it out.
We were first going to eat there on the day I got my oiled changed, but since Volkswagen botched the simple procedure, we had to deal with them instead.
We had an appetizer called Eggplant Harahan (possibly
the greatest name ever for a dish). We both liked it. It is a stack of three eggplants with crab stuffing in between them. They top it with five boiled shrimp and their own special sauce, which was quite tasty. I also liked the fried shrimp. They were big and crunchy. It was a bit pricey, but everything about the place was good, including the service. Definitely worth the trip if you are looking for a different seafood joint.


THE TINA CURSING CORNER

On our way to Seither's, our path down a street was hindered by a roadblock. Mom said: "Why the fuck did they put that there for?" The parking lot at Seither's is not in the best condition and doesn't have set spots. Mom said: "Where the fuck do you park?"
On the way home from Seither's, my mom was turning right when she was cut off by someone turning left from the other side of the highway. She didn't take kindly to that, yelling: "People don't know how to fucking drive. That's their fucking problems. They get in a wreck and they're like, 'Oh, I was there first.' That's not how it fucking works."

My mom is also sarcastic. She couldn't find her keys when we got home. I go outside to make sure she didn't leave them in the car. I didn't find them. She finds them in the key hole of the front door a few seconds later. She said: "You must be blind. Try looking in the door next time."

THE GENE POOL DIP (I MEAN TIP) OF THE WEEK

If you want to see some free movies currently in the theatre, you've come to the right place. Head over to the AMC Palace Elmwood (though I'm pretty sure this trick works at Clearview). Buy a ticket like normal to a movie. See the movie (Don't forget to bring your own snacks). When the movie is over, simply walk into another movie. Watch that film. Repeat.
The Palace takes your ticket at the front of the lobby. Here's the skinny dip: After taking your ticket, the Palace employees don't keep track of you at all. I recommend doing this trick when you have the day off. Start in the morning, and you can see about four movies for the price of one. Have I done this before? Yes, but since Paul works there, I see movies for free all the time. I'm just trying to give back to the community here.

PARTING SHOTS
The first three are from Bake. The last two are from Marcus.

People wanted to see my new haircut at work today, but I was still gunshy about removing my hat.
Bake: Come on, Gene. Take it off.
Liam: I don't ever want to hear you say that again.

We're discussing how the center has a tough job in football.
Bake: Plus, he has a hand up his butt.

I'm sitting at the end of the table at dinner because the table was full.
Marcus: Gene, why are you sitting at the head of the table?
Bake: That isn't the head. It's the other end.

D is reading about Barry Bonds possibly going to the Yankees.
D: Bonds could be in pinstripes.
Marcus: You mean, when he's sent to jail?

Marcus is talking about me getting fired.
Marcus: I hear there's a job opening at the bowling alley.
Me: Oh, yah. Which one?
Marcus: It de-pends.



THE DAILY TOP LIST
Sandra Bullock is my favorite actress. Here are my top 6 Bullock films.

6) The Net. 1995. This is an underrated thriller.
5) The Vanishing. 1993. I watched this about five times on HBO in one week. Creepy stuff.
4) While You Were Sleeping. 1995. I have fond memories of watching this one.
3) Miss Congeniality. 2000. Interviewer: Describe your idea of a perfect date. Miss Rhode Island: I would have to say April 25th. ... All you need is a light jacket.
2) Speed. 1994. One of the many good films of 1994, the best year of film during my lifetime.
1) Two Weeks Notice. 2002. My favorite romantic comedy. Grant + Bullock = Magic.

1 comment:

sbarrouquere said...

Good to see you are getting paid to write your blog. Does Marcus know this? That Bowling Alley might calling soon!