Friday, March 13, 2009

FRIDAY THE 13TH. YAWN.

I think that if Friday the 13th occurs two months in a row, the spooky scariness of the day disappears for that second one. And you can even have a good day.

Here's all the things that went right for me Friday:

-- I watched the Heels win in the ACC Tournament.
-- I watched the Tigers win in the SEC Tournament.
-- I watched part of a six-overtime game. Six.
-- I watched the Hornets beat the Bucks. 9-1 with Tyson back.
-- I ate five pounds of well-seasoned crawfish.

OK, so nothing incredible happened, but nothing remotely bad happened either.

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

My mom cleaned house today. You know what that means. I'm in the dining room, and she comes storming in there with a stack of my stuff. "Get rid of these piles! They're getting fucking ridiculous."

Mom heads toward my room for some more cleaning. "You can't even fucking move in this room. I have to move shit in my room just to fit it all."

Mom can't get over my organization. "Fucking piles of paper. That's what they make notebooks for!"

I make a throw-away pile and a keep pile. Mom asks what the stuff is I'm currently putting in the keep pile. Me: These are the little books that come with CDs.
Mom: That's fucking funny. That's real funny.

Mom takes a break to drink a smoothie. She drinks too fast and gets brain freeze. "Aw, fuck."

After mom has calmed down from her cleaning high, I ask her this: Wanna hear a song I wrote for my boss?
Mom: What's it called? Go fuck yourself?

Mom just found out the new policy (really, it's several years old) of the tanning salon. She doesn't like it because 1) it's more expensive and 2) to keep your account and not go for a while, you have to pay $5 a month. "I don't go there in the summer. It's too fucking hot outside. Most of the people that go in there are young. How the fuck can they afford that?"

PARTING SHOTS
I ask Brick why my screen looks so different with the new system.

Brick: That's nothing. Your screen is bright.
Liam: The screen has to make up for Gene's deficiencies.

I'm reading facebook statuses.

Me (to Derry): Drea has baby fever.
Derry: She's been having that.
Me: Isn't there treatment for that?
Sandy: Yeah. It's called pregnancy.
D: Why don't ya'll have one?
Derry: We can't afford to right now.
D: You can use it as a tax write-off.
Liam: That's how you address the baby. Aw, my little tax write-off.

I notice that we have the Hornets-Bulls game Saturday listed on the front page as being on BET instead of WGN. That creates some laughter.

Me: Ryan Bowen won't be making an appearance in that one.

There's mention of someone's birthday being April 5.

Me: I'll be in Houston for that one.
Sandy: You will? What is that? A Sunday?
Me: Yup. Palm Sunday, in fact.
Derry: That's your favorite day, huh?

THE DAILY TOP LIST
The top five sporting events that make me giddy with anticipation.

5) Super Bowl.
It's a pop-culture event.

4) World Cup.
Seventy-five percent of the time, there is no looking forward to it.

3) October baseball.
Just hoping each time that this could be the year for the Cubbies.

2) March Madness.
Can you feel the excitement approaching?

1) WrestleMania.
I plan my vacation around it.

No comments: