Little Joe and I went to Game 3 of the Hornets-Chicken Nuggets series Saturday afternoon. As I pulled out my driveway, I called the Little One to inform him I was on my way. Then, it hit me. I forgot the tickets in the drawer. Moron.
You know what playoff basketball means? Besides a three-month odyssey, of course. Free stuff at games. On Saturday, we got a Fan-Up T-shirt (I thought they should have changed the theme this year to Man-Up) and an official New Orleans Hornets Voodoo doll. Wooooo!
My voodoo doll had two heads (better than one), and Little Joe's had one. I'm not sure why there were multiple kinds of official New Orleans Hornets Voodoo dolls. But whatever. It even had instructions to help you make the Chicken Nuggets turn the ball over or miss a shot. I tried a few times, and it didn't work.
The best part about the voodoo doll is that it makes a squeaking noise when you poke it in the middle. So much fun.
This is my new buddy and section leader of 313. He basically stood and danced the entire game. His fingers were in the form of the rock and roll symbol (which wikipedia tells me is used in European countries to identify a man with an adulterous wife), and he kept swaying back and forth while twirling his arms every which way.
He came up to me when the score was 6-0 and said: "Hey. Nuggets suck!" Then he went back to his seat and began dancing again. I hope he's there Monday. Pretty please let him be there.
Notes and observations from Saturday's festivities.1) I met up with Paul and Kelly at Buzz Fest. After the game, Little Joe asked me about their relationship dynamic. I said: "They're gal pals." (It's true.)
2) Little Wayne got a bigger cheer from the crowd than Reggie Bush.
3) During the introduction of the starting lineups, I was asked by the woman behind me to sit down. Hello. It's the playoffs. Did you not get the memo? She's lucky I didn't smack her.
4) In the second quarter, a bird flew across the building up in the 300 section. I think it might have been the hawk from Atlanta wanting to check out some more action.
5) Too many empty seats. A little disappointing. Also, the people that showed up at the end of the first quarter. Hello. It's the playoffs. Did you not get the memo? They're lucky I didn't smack 'em.
6) I ran into Alexis and Laura in the corridor at halftime. I emphasize ran into because they will have you believe I was stalking them. That's incorrect.
7) I'm not a fan of the "Ref, you suck" chant. I am a fan of booing J.R. Smith, though.
8) The Wasps gave one hell of an effort Saturday ... to lose the game at the end. Just a great effort. Mad props to Posey for not being able to inbound the ball properly. By the way, I willed the last two shots by Carmelo not to go in. Yup. Told the ball not to go in. In all seriousness, though, I was wasping for air on that last shot. Good lord.
9) Disregarding the collapse at the end, here are the reasons the Hornets won Saturday:
-- CP3 played great.
-- Posey and Marks gave a first-half boost. 'Sual came up huge on 3s in the second half.
-- The interior defense was much better. The Chicken Nuggets didn't get too many easy baskets in the paint. Tyson and West did a nice job on help defense.
-- Denver missed its first five 3-point shots in the fourth.
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
Before I left for the Hornets game, I asked my mom if she had any advice for the hometown boys. "Yeah. Fucking win."
IT GOES BETTER WITH DRAFT BEER
A few thoughts on the 2009 NFL draft.
1) I think the NFL draft is the most overrated sports event of the year. These people haven't done shit yet. And come the season, most of these guys will be afterthoughts. That's why I don't care that much.
2) My third favorite team is now the Chiefs. Three consecutive Tigers in the first round. I'm sold.
3) Roger Goodell should have opened the draft by stepping to the podium and saying: "With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the 0-16 Detroit Lions select Matthew Stafford. Quarterback. University of Georgia."
4) The Dolphins had a really good draft. Got a starting cornerback in the first round and then made the Wildcat even wilder by selecting Pat White in the second round. He can lineup at wide receiver or quarterback and end up actually being the opposite on any given play.
PARTING SHOTS
Lopes jokes that since the first two quarterbacks taken in the draft were named Matthew and Mark, the next two taken would be named Luke and John.
Brick: OK. Find me the fifth best quarterback named Acts, and I'll call you good.
Lopes: I was also thinking Thomas or Judas for the fifth quarterback. But they dropped out because of character issues. Thomas didn't believe in his arm, and Judas wanted too much money.
I jokingly say that the legal age in Idaho is 15. (It's actually 14.)
D: Is that true, Anne?
Anne: I don't know. I'm from Iowa.
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My five biggest phobias.
5) Nyctophobia. Fear of the dark.
I'm scared someone will jump out and scare me.
4) Commitmentphobia. Fear of commitment.
Haven't exactly had to put this to use.
3) Ophidiophobia. Fear of snakes.
Certainly not uncommon.
2) Acrophobia. Fear of heights.
I'm scared I'll fall to a horrifying death. Like even when there's a rail and stuff.
1) Ombrophobia. Fear of rain.
I'll explain later.

No comments:
Post a Comment