Saturday, April 4, 2009

GENEPOOL GIVES HOUSTON A PROBLEM. DAY THREE. 

I didn't get much sleep Friday night. My eyes were closed for a little over two hours, but I think I was only out of it for 40 minutes. There were two reasons for this: a pain in my arm and Paul snoring.   

The latter is self-explanatory. Several times I hit Paul with a pillow. He startled and went back to sleep. It sort of worked because he stopped snoring. But for only like 10 minutes each time. 

The arm pain was a result from playing all those games at Dave & Busters. Mrs. Pacman and air hockey did some damage, but it was all the live basketballs I shot over a three-hour period. Just as I finished typing Friday's entry at 2 a.m., I got a shooting pain from my wrist to the top of my shoulder. 

It wouldn't go away. Finally, I put some ice on it at 5 a.m. The pain was brutal. I couldn't move my right arm without any. By the time we got to the afternoon, however, the pain was mostly gone. Which is good because you can't cheer at WrestleMania with only one arm. 

Two notes from Friday's hotel action. 

1) The other wrestling fans would not stop Wooing (and I don't mean courting) on Friday night. I felt bad for the poor people who are staying at this hotel this weekend and had no idea they were going to be joined by crazy wrestling fans. As late as 2:43 a.m., I could hear wooing from the hotel lobby. 

2) The most disturbing thing about this hotel: The bar in the hotel lobby - aptly named Lobbibar Hyatt Regency - has its own facebook page. Who the hell would join that? 

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

My mom expressed her disapproval with the woman who got caught stealing credit card numbers from a restaurant where she worked in the city. "I don't understand why you fucking do a credit card scam for $240. I can't go to the fucking Wal-Mart for $240." 

On Wednesday morning, the emergency alert system comes on the TV. It stays for a while. "What's with the fucking emergency alert crap?"   

PARTING SHOT
A Jewish guy sees how long the line is Saturday morning to get a ticket for the rail. Jewish guy: Oh vey. He kept walking past our station to another station on the next block that didn't have a line. We followed suit. The Jewish guy bought a bunch of tickets and sold them to the back of the long line. 

Paul: And they say stereotypes aren't true.

THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five WrestleMania moments. 

5) Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth reunite. WM 7. 
Touching moment that brought tears to my eyes. It was slightly ruined when they divorced in real life a year later. And then even more when she died of some sort of drug use in 2003.

4) Steve Austin passes out from the sharpshooter. WM 13. 
With his face the proverbial crimson mask, Austin officially accepted the torch as the face of the company. And boy did he ever run with it. 

3) Hulk Hogan is reborn. WM 18. 
Going into the match with The Rock, Hogan was the bad guy. But the fans in Toronto that night got nostalgic and began cheering for Hogan like they did when they were kids. It was a surreal moment. 

2) Ric Flair retires. WM 24. 
I was there for his last match last year in Orlando. Flair was 59-years-old for this match with Shawn Michaels (not to be confused with Sean Michaels). It lasted 20 minutes and was voted Match of the Year for 2008. 

The biggest moment of the biggest match at the biggest show in wrestling history. 

No comments: