Saturday, February 28, 2009

I WONDER IF I SHOULD SEND HER A MESSAGE

While searching the Internets after work Saturday night (OK. I was stalking. Leave me alone.), I came across an interesting myspace profile. Female. 25. Slidell. Goes by the name Blondie. You know where this is going yet?

It's Regina with an updated photo! The last time I checked for her on myspace, her profile hadn't been updated since like 2004. This photo is definitely recent, and her last login says 2/28/2009.

According to her status, she was looking for a new house Saturday to go along with her new job. (Then like six exclamation points. Chicks.) New house? Damn. As in: Tired of the old one, I'll go get a new one.

Maybe I should have taken the money after all and just hoped the crazy would go away.

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

My mom can't wait for her new treadmill to arrive. In the meantime, she's still using the old one, which she is now thinking about keeping. She used it Saturday. "Didn't really give me any problems for 15 minutes. Then I got down and felt the belt. Fucking on fire."

Feb. 28 was an anniversary for mom. "I've been on a diet for five fucking months." (Let's all give mom a big congratulations. She's lost 40 pounds.)

Mom forgot something Friday. "I accidentally ate meat yesterday. I was eating soup and realized, 'Oh, fuck. There's pieces of chicken in here.' I stopped eating it."

I'm watching wrestling from 1997. Mom is in awe of Hulk Hogan. "Look at those fucking arms. He's got a fucking body on him. ... Look at those fucking arms. He can sure sweep you off your feet. His fucking biceps look like they about to pop."

YO, TYLER! YOU DID IT!

I have been waiting for this day all season long. In fact, I've been obsessed with this record. Late last season, I realized Tyler had a really good chance to break Dickie Hemric's record for most made free throws, which Hemric set at 905 back in 1955. Eh, it's only a 54-year-old record. Whatevs.

When the season started, Tyler was 172 foul shots away from tying Dickie. I figured that Tyler needed to make six free throws per game to catch him. Eventually, I was saying just four per game. For every game early in the season, I would count his foul shots each game, cringing each time he missed. At the end of the game, I would shout out the new total to go. (Even if no one was there to listen.)

Once Tyler got to within 50, I began counting down with each made shot. Every time he made one, I was shouting out the new number. To tell you the truth, I've been so into this record that I actually was worrying more about him getting fouled than I was about the Heels winning. (In close games, I'm yelling at the defense to foul Tyler instead of at the Heels to make a winning play. Except against Duke.)

A few weeks ago, I tabbed the Georgia Tech game as the one in which he would set the new mark. I was right. With his seventh (of eight) foul shot made Saturday, he passed Dickie with his 906th free throw made. Amazing. In classic Tyler fashion, it was a swish. The net made that sweet popping sound.

The bench knew it and gave a standing ovation, thinking the game would be stopped. Except the people running the game were clueless and didn't stop it. I was pissed. But first I stood up with the bench and applauded history. They took a moment during a timeout to acknowledge the never-will-be-broken feat. Of course, I didn't see it because I was watching a Coke Zero commercial. Ugh.

Most people probably don't think too much of this record. But I value it more than the all-time ACC scoring record, which will be a much bigger deal when it happens in the ACC tournament. The idea of getting to the line (and then knocking 'em down) that many times is incredible. Plus, you have to get it done from the beginning of your freshman season to make that many. (Tyler has averaged 6.9 foul shots made in his career.)

This record is a load off my mind. Now, I can focus on more important things. You know, like winning the title.

(To put this record in perspective: Tyler has the four-year mark at 907; Pistol Pete, who was not allowed to play his freshman year, has the three-year record at 893. Consider: For Tyler to surpass Pistol's three-year record, counting his sophomore through senior seasons, Tyler would have to make as many foul shots (174) in his final 10 - or 11 - games as he did in his first 24 this season. That's only 17.4 per game. Piece of cake.)

PARTING SHOTS
I'm missing the words that led into this new phrase, but I think it stands alone. AGG is pissed about something regarding LSU.

AGG (to Jelly on AIM): Suck it until it's purple and gold. (That's what Ted said.)

We're talking about a defensive back who visited the Saints today.

JRap: What do you think the Saints big selling point was?
Derry: Pancho's is reopening.
Me: It is conveniently located between the practice facility and the Dome.
JRap: Yeah. You can get the runs while learning to defend the run.

THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five moments of February.

5) Tyler breaking the foul shot record.
He is 91 points away from the ACC scoring record. Sorry, Lopes.

4) Mardi Gras.
I'm ashamed I didn't see CP3 and Posey walking Uptown. Terrible.

3) Going to Arabi.
Just waiting on my refund check now.

2) Rubik's Cube party.
The easiest way to solve one is to get one with stickers and just rearrange the stickers accordingly.

1) 3 Doors Down concert.
If only they lived that close.

No comments: