I HATE WHEN HEADLINES PLAY ON THE WORD SUPER. IT'S LAME.
For the sixth year in a row, I watched the Super Bowl at work. Next year when the Dolphins are in it, I'm taking off. Nobody would want me around in the office for that anyway.
I have a tradition where I eat a different bag of chips during each quarter. I can't take credit for the idea. I stole it from a King of Queens episode. It keeps the Super Bowl lively.
Here was the lineup: 1st quarter: Nacho cheese Doritos, 2nd quarter: Lays classic, 3rd quarter: Cheddar & sour cream Ruffles, 4th quarter: Spicy cajun Zapp's. The first quarter went so quick I was still eating Doritos five minutes into the second quarter before I realized my error.
The Doritos was a big bag I brought from home and shared with the group. I bought the other three bags in the vending machine in the cafeteria. If there was overtime, I was reverting back to the big bag of Doritos. The other three bags were all empty.
I wasn't able to watch every play, but I did see most of it. This was a fantastic game. I'm putting it third on my Super Bowl list (right behind Pats-Rams but bumping Rams-Titans to fourth).
If Warner had gotten off a throw at the end and Fitzgerald had got at least a hand on it, I think XLIII could have finished in second. Heck, that bastard might have caught the ball for the win. He catches everything else. I think five people hitting him, though, would jar the bar loose. Still, I would have liked to see it.
The game ending in a fumble keeps it at No. 3. I didn't like the way the refs handled the call. It's the Super Bowl. It's the final play. Can't we at least have the ref on the field look at it for a few minutes? I would have waited. You know, for him to make sure the final play of the season (in a season with so many bad calls) ended with the correct call.
I understand that the refs (or whoever it is) up in the booth determined it didn't need to be reviewed because it was clearly a fumble. I'm not so sure. I think Warner's arm was coming forward, and he had a follow-through. The ball also went forward. It was definitely worth a review.
Within a minute of that play, I got an AIM message, a phone call and a text message asking me why there was no review. I demand a full explanation and investigation. I also blame Michaels and Madden for not thinking twice about the call.
Not sure the reason, but Red Meat and Springsteen were both being talked about in the same conversation. The main line of Born to Run is started, with Red Meat a part of the discussion. Someone (either JRap or Marcus): He was Born to Run out of bounds.
Speaking of Bruce, that sly dog played four songs. I thought he would only play three and was trying to guess which three. (I did say Born to Run and Glory Days. Tough call, I know.) He's the boss, however, and if he wanted to play a whole damn album, who was going to stop him?
For much of the game, I couldn't understand how the Cardinals had not thrown a deep pass to Fitzgerald (maybe I missed it). Did they decide it had worked too well in other playoff games? They wanted to show they could move the ball without throwing it up to him?
Me (after a bad Arizona play): Dammit. Throw it deep to Fitz.
Liam: Ya'll on a first-name basis?
Jelly: You mean a first-name basis with the first part of his last name?
One final note: How impressive is it that the Steelers' starting wide receivers next season will both be Super Bowl MVPs?
THE TINA CURSING CORNER
My mom taped some episodes of Lost on Sci-Fi in hopes that we could watch the series on there as it goes and use Netflix to watch something else. However, she discovered that Sci-Fi is not airing the episodes in order. "I was like 'What the fuck?' "
Mom is doing a load of laundry. "Shit, I dropped a sock."
TV WEEK IN REVIEW
There wasn't much new on this past week. But this coming week. Well, that's a different story. For Monday, I got the DVR (which records two stations at once) and two VCRs operating at the same time.
I really liked two lines from this past week and got a third stuck in my head from a couple weeks ago.
1) Life on Mars. Back in 1973, the subject of a portable phone is brought up. Michael Imperioli's character says: "Who wants to carry around a telephone?"
2) Scrubs. J.D. tries to give intern Denise the nickname Jo.
J.D.: Do you not like that nickname?
Denise: It's kind of butch. I like bangin' dudes.
3) The Office. Dwight recites a song about the rules every one in his family must learn before the age of 5. "Learn your rules. You better learn your rules. If you don't, you'll be eaten in your sleep."
PARTING SHOTS
There's talk in the office that the king cake on the counter is delicious. Me: Is it plain?
Bake: No. It's fancy.
Marcus: It's in a tux.
We dedicated two pages to the Mardi Gras Marathon. One page was just on the experience of running down Bourbon Street. Yet, we didn't take any pictures of Bourbon.
Marcus: We didn't have anyone out there shooting Bourbon?
THE DAILY TOP LIST
My top five Super Bowl commercials this year.
5) Heroes.
The one where they square off with football legends. John Elway had super powers!
4) Doritos.
A combination of the snow globe smashing the vending machine and the crunching of a Dorito chip taking off the hot girl's clothes.
3) Bud Light.
The first ad of the night when the guy suggests cutting the budget by not buying Bud Light for every meeting. The rest of the employees promptly kick him out. Of the window.
2) Usama Young and Father.
Usama: And now I'm in the Super Bowl.
Father: It's just a commercial, son.
1) Coke Zero.
I thought this was an almost perfect remake of the classic Mean Joe Green commercial, this time with Troy Polamalu. I didn't like the kid in it. I kind of like those Coke Zero guys.
Note: I also liked the Mr. Potato Head ad, the Monster.com ad that showed the opposite office of the moose head and the one where the animals in the park steal the guy's coke.

No comments:
Post a Comment