Thursday, September 4, 2008

HOW THE BLOG KEPT GOING

Including this one, I posted four blogs Thursday. But the streak of consecutive days blogging is alive. As you can see on the other blogs, I had one Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

I started Monday's blog early Monday morning but didn't get very far. We lost power in Baton Rouge on Monday afternoon and didn't get it back. Monday's draft, however, was saved in the system. On Tuesday night, I called Chuck in Atlanta, gave him my password and he started Tuesday's blog with these words: Chuck was here.

I got back to the city Wednesday and went straight to work. After the shift, I started Wednesday's blog but was too tired to write anything. I woke up this morning refreshed and got to work at 1 p.m. I then wrote the first three blogs before Thursday's shift started. Derry says this doesn't count as posting on consecutive days. I beg to differ.

The T-P delivered four papers to my house today. Thus, we got Monday's paper on Thursday. Just like you got Monday's blog on Thursday. I didn't have any power, and neither did anyone around me. There was an 8 p.m. curfew in Baton Rouge, and I sweated more than I care to remember in the apartment. To combat the heat, I took my first cold shower of my life. Boy, did that feel good. The T-P publishes come hell or high water, but The Gene Pool blogs come hell or no power. Put that on a shirt and wear it.

THE TINA CURSING CORNER

My mom told me she went exploring Tuesday afternoon. "I went driving around. Some sandwich place was open. I went in there, and the line was so fucking long."

I see on TV that St. Tammany Parish wasn't on the governor's list of disaster areas. I ask what's the big deal. "You ask some stupid questions. There was a fucking hurricane."

We still don't have cable. Mom is watching a press conference. "What good is this come February 17. Nobody will be able to watch TV (without cable). Unless they got one of those big motherfuckers on top of the roof. It doesn't make any fucking sense."

We see a truck go down our street with a big tree trunk in the back. "Motherfuck. That is a big fucking trunk."

IT WAS MAY 8, YOU IDIOT

Paul and I are driving around on our way back from Frank's on Tuesday. We listen to 870 for an update on the city. The host gets a distress call from this guy in North Slidell. I'm not sure if this guy was a) in trouble; b) a lunatic; c) a prank caller. Here's what I remember of the conversation. We'll call the caller Trapped in North Slidell (or TNS for short).

TNS: Hey. I'm in North Slidell. The water is going to rise. We are trapped here. And no one seems to know or care. The water is coming. I know because of the May 5 flood.

Host: Calm down, sir. Where are you? Is water coming into your house?

TNS: Not yet. But I know it is cuz of the May 5 flood. We have 100 people trapped here in North Slidell. We were told it was OK to be here. And now the water is rising just like the May 5 flood out of the bayou. I am poor. I have three kids. We need help.

Host: OK, sir. I have Kevin here with the Slidell police department. Tell him where you are, and he'll come help.

TNS: Kevin who?

Host: Kevin so-and-so with the Slidell police.

TNS: Kevin who?

Host: Kevin so-and-so.

TNS: Oh, OK. Kevin. Hey, Kevin. We are trapped here. The water is rising. I'm telling you it is just like the May 5 flood. We need help.

Cop: OK, sir. We are here to help. Where are you?

TNS: Off Highway 11. Between 10 and 12. The bayou is rising just like the May 5 flood.

Cop: Where on Highway 11?

TNS: There is a Burger King, a McDonald's and six gas stations. But no one can get gas cuz we are trapped.

Host: Can you give Kevin your address?

TNS: I am in North Slidell.

Cop: Where at in North Slidell?

TNS: Highway 11.

Cop: What is your address? Give me a number and a street.

TNS: I'm telling you the water is rising. It will be in our house soon.

Cop: How close is the water?

TNS: It's not here yet. But I know it will rise soon cuz it feels just like the May 5 flood, Kevin.

Cop: OK. Now give me a street address, and we'll send someone out.

TNS: We're by Bayou (I forget the name). Right by (some section of town; I forget).

Cop: Oh. That's a little out of our area. What is your street?

TNS: Pine and (some other street name).

Cop: What is your street number?

TNS: The whole damn street!

(I think the host realized that TNS was a lunatic or a prank caller, cut the convo short and moved on.)

MY STUPID MOMENT OF GUSTAV

We didn't have power Tuesday, and the kitchen was dark. So I brought all the ingredients for a PB&J sandwich to the living room: PB, J, a knife, bread, a paper towel and a coke. I start putting the stuff on the table when I notice Bert and Jacob giving me a weird look.

Me: What?
Bert: What you doing there?
Me: Making a sandwich. What does it look like?
Bert: Why you got two jars of peanut butter and two jars of jelly there, buddy?

He was right. I came out of the kitchen with two jars each of PB and J. I told you I'm an idiot. Hey, maybe I wanted to mix two brands of grape jelly and two brands of crunchy peanut butter. In that case, I should have brought two brands of bread and put one on top and the other on the bottom.

PARTING SHOTS

Everyone was pleased to see each other at the return to work Thursday.

"How'd you do?" we said to each other. I heard that question asked 14 times.

There is a discussion on what Chad Johnson will name his kids now that his name is Ocho Cinco.

Jelly: "It doesn't matter. They probably won't have his name anyway. (Then, a few moments later.) If I was having Chad Johnson's babies, I wouldn't want anybody to know about it."

THE DAILY TOP LIST

My top five Robin Williams movies.

5) Good Will Hunting. 1997.
I like this movie a lot, and he was nominated. But he wasn't the star so I can't put it higher.

4) Good Morning, Vietnam. 1987.
This is Williams at his comedic best in a movie.

3) Hook. 1991.
Run home, Jack. Run home, Jack.

2) Jumanji. 1995.
His most underrated work. This is a fun adventure.

1) Mrs. Doubtfire. 1993.
Warms the heart and makes you laugh. You just can't beat that.

No comments: