Joe and Jenna's wedding extravaganza
Joe and Jenna got married April 20th. So why am I posting about it in June? Because I just figured out how to put pictures into the blog using my phone.
Anyway, Joe and Jenna has always been my favorite couple. And I was more than honored to be in the wedding and share in their special moment.
The wedding week was epic with so many old friends in town, and let's just say I got home at 6 a.m. from Joe's bachelor party, which started and ended at the casino.
As for the rest of the story, I'm going to tell that through the use of photographs. Grab some popcorn, kick back and enjoy.
This was the site of the ceremony one day earlier. The rehearsal went smoothly except for the confusion about when and how they would put their rings on.
Jenna works at the zoo, and through that connection, she was able to get family and the wedding party to participate in a feeding of the giraffes.
The first rule of the feeding was that we were not allowed to post pictures on social media of the giraffes. But I'm a badass. Besides, this isn't accessible through google searches and such.
The tallest giraffe was 18 feet tall. Or three and a half Genes. Also, their tongues are purple.
Here's the wedding party sans Gill and me on a picture-perfect day at the zoo. We were deemed unworthy for this shot by the wedding photographer. I think she hated us because we're beautiful.
In lieu of a wedding cake, the happy couple had 200 buttermilk drops. I went with Joe to Tastees several months before to see if this was possible and how much it cost.
Joe: How much for 200?
Worker: probably right under 200 dollars.
Joe: and how much notice before picking them up?
Worker: you can order the day before.
Joe: I could kiss you.
They are ptetty much the best thing ever. I thought they would last 10 minutes, but somehow there were leftovers. What the hell people?
I myself had 2 1/2. They assure me that they kept four drops to eat on their one-year anniversary. Such traditionalists.
Joe and Jenna got married at the zoo. Some of the guests invited themselves and then got bored and took a nap.
The zoo names their bears after major hurricanes. Great. That is Betsy. Or was it Camille? Anyway, we were allowed to feed the bears just before the wedding.
I threw a piece of cheese to this bear. It one-hoped the ground and went right into her mouth. Awesome. The worker tells me the next bear will be called Katrina. Ugh.
Ah, first dances. Can you feel the love tonight? The peace the evening brings. The world for once in perfect harmony. Sorry, got carried away there. Oh, that's Tina in the background.
I first realized Joe and Jenna were meant for each other at Gill's birthday in August of 2004. At the end of the party, there were five boys and five gals. Those two were left alone on the couch giggling about something.
As I got water out the fridge for a drunk Kate, I glanced over and ... I don't know how else to say it. I just knew. And every time I am around them, I am reminded of that night and how perfect they are for each other.
I wanted to say as much during wedding week, but it didn't feel appropriate. Khush's best man and Katie's maid of honor speeches were better anyway. In fact, Katie and Jenna are still in an open relationship on Facebook.
Chuck, Bob and Joe have been pointed finger dancing around Jenna for as long as I can remember, so it was necessary for this pic to happen at the wedding.
The wedding itself was a beautiful occasion, starting with the bride herself, who was radiant as she walked the aisle to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
Then they got hitched in the midst of nature. I think the crocs even woke up and shed a tear or two.
On a personal note, I walked up the aisle with Gill, which was awesome. And no matter what anyone tells you, we were the best bridesmaid/groomsmen pairing.
That's my seersucker suit for the wedding. You know, cuz that's how Joe does.
Rachel made me a shirt to wear under my suit that said Joe and Jenna's Journey. It had a music symbol for Jenna, a baseball bat for Joe and the Loyola Wolfpack symbol for where we all met.
In the summer of 2003 (or 69), I declared Journey's Don't Stop Believin as my anthem. I made up a dance to it while drunk, and Jenna loved it. She begged me to do it at every party thereafter in college.
It's become a wedding tradition. The music hits. People get excited, and I make a fool of myself with a magnificent display of otherworldly moves, concluding with the worm when the song's title is sung at the end.
And so the pressure was on to make this the best rendition yet. Some said it was. I even danced with Jenna in the middle and sang more than usual along with the song. The best part was right before I started my routine, I unbuttoned my dress shirt to reveal the special shirt.
After the wedding, we went to the Columns for the afterparty. More good time were had there, even if the room was spinning the whole time.
Gill and Kaila were tired after a long night of partying. Or maybe they were just relieved to be alive.
Bob drove us home from the afterparty, and as he was changing lanes on the Interstate, a red ( possibly Corvette) came out of nowhere at about 89 mph.
Bob quickly hooked his car back into its original lane as the car went whizzing by. I estimate the cars missed hitting by six inches or so.
Who knows what would have happened had we collided. Anyway, congrats to Joe and Jenna. Hell of a party!












No comments:
Post a Comment