After waking up at 10 a.m. Tuesday, my mom only stayed up for two hours. She arose again at 6 p.m., but basically only long enough to say hi to Joe and Jenna and then was awake again for a little while toward 11 p.m.
She slept the rest of the day and didn't even notice that Bert was in the room for several hours. I'm about to head back to work today, and mom is going back home, ending an interesting five days at this hospice facility.
Goodbye my home from Friday night until Wednesday morning.
Mom had a total of 22 visitors during the five days, counting my dad and me. So 20 people that didn't have to come, and that really touched my heart and helped me not be sad. Thanks, guys.
People came from as far away as down the street -- Kelly and Nicole -- to as close by as Barcelona -- Gillie and Brian. Wait, switch that, reverse it.
When mom came to at 5 a.m. Wednesday morning, it was the latest in a long line of adventures we've had the past couple weeks.
She refused to stay down and insisted on being let out the bed because it was time to go. I continued to tell her no and blocked her path of exit.
Or so I thought.
I dozed off around 5:30 and when I opened my eyes a few minutes later, mom was out of the bed and slowly walking!
Somehow she had escaped from the other side of the bed that is propped up against the wall and has two rails to boot. The bed was slightly angled away from the wall after two nurses got on each side to reposition her Tuesday night.
Still, there wasn't much room to squeeze out of there between the two rails and also between the bed and the wall, especially for someone who hasn't walked in a week and who has trouble breathing. But dammit if her spirit -- and hard-headedness-- aren't still very much a ticking.
I jumped out my chair and rushed over to hold her, as she could collapse at any moment. She ended up making a lap around the bed before a nurse helped her lay back down. We then pushed the bed all the way against the wall.
Here's what she said over the next two hours after we got her down:
-- I'm mad at you.
Me: Why?
Mom: Because you made me get out of bed. And you wouldn't tell me what was wrong with me.
-- We both gonna die?
Me: I don't plan on it.
Mom: So just me?
-- (looking at me) Why are you trying to drive me crazy? Why are you doing this to me, Tina?
-- The little girl got sick, then her brother, and now he's sick.
-- I got to get up and put on purple shoes.
Me: Why? Where you going?
Mom: Why are you trying to make me put on purple shoes and die?


No comments:
Post a Comment