Friday, May 23, 2014

A WRECK OF A BOIL

SATURDAY

On my way home from work last Saturday night, I was at a red light on Earhart a few blocks from the bridge when a car hit me from behind. 

My head snapped back a little bit, but the car didn't hit me hard. When I went to investigate the damage, there wasn't a scratch on either car. 

The other driver said something about his new hybrid locking up while he was stopped and that it rolled into my car with him unable to control it. Sounded like bullshit, but I wasn't hurt and my car wasn't damaged, so I said no biggie and went home. 

There was no car in the lane next to us, so he could have turned and avoided me. Best guess is that he did stop or mostly stopped but wasn't paying attention and rolled into me. 

I actually developed a slight headache on the way home from the whiplash, but it was gone by morning. 

SUNDAY

Bert and I hosted a small crawfish boil at his house, with him doing almost all the work. I chopped some lemons and onions and provided an extra table. 


We had two sacks and left about eight pounds. I had eaten only one meal each of the two previous days to save myself for the crawfish, and it sort of worked. 

I was able to scarf down more than 10 pounds, but that was a mistake, as I became sick and threw up some chunks. I could feel the burn of the boil in my throat as the puke left my body. Yum. 


My mother made cupcakes, which were a big hit and didn't last too long. I had five. I think she missed her calling in a bakery. Nicole made this amazing crab dip that I had three bites of, but it lasted only about an hour. 

Bert also got half a sack of oysters and charbroiled them. Mom never eats oysters, and she had three they were so good. I refused. Jacob shucked most of them, and after all that labor and eating his fill, poor child was out by 5 p.m.


Oh yeah. The crawfish were dynamite, too. 

WEDNESDAY

We had our 87th Yat-Together. Can you believe we're only 13 away from 100? This one was at Slice on Magazine, and not the one on St. Charles, right Amanda?

We had a full group with Kelli, Stephen, Bryce, Brayden, Amanda, Aarie Jayne, Greg, Kevin and Christina, with whom a shared a veggie pizza. 

I looked on Facebook to make sure I spelled the childrens' names correctly, and it took awhile to find Brayden. I don't want to say Kelli is favoriting the first born, but there are 10 photo albums with Bryce's name and zero with Brayden's. 

Anyway, our waiter sucked, and the food took forever. It was damn good, though. The bastard added 18% gratuity, so we couldn't show him. I should have used an old trick and stiffed him by a penny, right Kelli?

OLD BLOGS

Nicole has been reading entries from the good old days, so I've been reflecting on some stuff I wrote back then. It's funny how accurate some stuff still is, such as a rant I had about Sean Payton calling plays like he's playing a video game, and how much different I would make some top lists. I had McDonalds nuggets as my third favorite fast food order in 2009 but haven't ordered that in about four years. 

No comments: